Equip is a startup on a mission to transform eating disorder treatment through Family-Based Treatment at home to promise lasting recovery. Equip provides each patient with a five-person dedicated care team including a dietitian, physician, therapist, family mentor, and peer mentor who deliver wrap-around support to provide families healing.
We created Equip to increase access to evidence-based treatment for all people affected by eating disorders. In line with this mission, we are committed to partnering closely with insurance companies and ensuring our team, patients, treatment, and brand reflect the diversity of those affected by eating disorders.
About the role:
Reporting to the Controller, the Billing Specialist holds a key role within Equip, responsible for managing patient coverages and ensuring timely billing and payment from carriers. The specialist acts as a liaison between insurance companies, the patients and their families, and Equip’s Accounting and Clinical departments. The specialist manages all insurance billing and patient billing facets of the revenue cycle, with responsibility for submitting, posting, and appealing claims, including the necessary follow up to ensure payments are collected in a timely manner. Ensuring accurate claim information and reporting on revenue, payment and receivables is a critical function for the specialist.
The right person will be an experienced Billing Specialist with strong verbal and written communication. They will be process driven with a strong attention to detail. The ideal candidate is comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment, solving problems independently, and comfortable with ambiguity as systems and processes are still being shaped.
- Develop collaborative relationships with insurance companies/payors to resolve billing issues, file accurate, complete, and timely claims ensuring maximum reimbursement
- Update/enter patient billing information in company systems
- Respond to inquiries from insurance companies, patients/families, and internal team members
- Create and review data on insurance policies to ensure accurate claim processing and payment
- Prepare and submit appeal documentation (including rationales) to achieve maximum payment
- Work collaboratively with the Controller to address reimbursement issues and/or billing obstacles
- Produce AR and billing reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually, and ad-hoc)
- Prepare materials for submission to insurance companies as requested
- Maintain confidentiality of patient care and business
- Review data on insurance explanation of benefits (EOB’s) to ensure accurate payment posting
- 3+ years of healthcare experience with billing or insurance verification required
- Knowledge and experience with EMR and billing software programs required
- Strong, professional communication and interpersonal skills with patients, clients, insurance companies, and internal team members
- Familiarity with HIPAA privacy requirements for patient information. Ability to maintain and protect confidential information
- Excellent organizational awareness, adaptability, and conflict management skills
- A passion for living Equip’s mission and values
Bonus if you have the following:
- High level of understanding of behavioral health insurance and ability to explain complex benefits to families (out-of-network benefits vs. in-network benefits, as well as coinsurance, co-pays, and deductibles)
- Accounting experience
- Coding/Billing Certificate from an accredited institute or school preferred
- Passion for mental health and eating disorder treatment and expanding access to treatment through insurance
Equip prioritizes candidates with a passion for the mission and/or lived experience. Additionally, we are intentionally building a diverse and inclusive workplace, and encourage underrepresented candidates to apply.
Competitive salaries and bonuses, flexible hours from home, unlimited time-off, health benefits, career development opportunities, and exciting team activities are among the myriad benefits you'll experience while working at Equip.
Equip is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.