(Senior) Design Researcher
Substantial is seeking an experienced design researcher to help our clients create evidence-based product strategies that incorporate customer needs and business objectives. We are designers, strategists, and technologists driven by ambition and curiosity. With diverse backgrounds—design agencies, strategy consultancies, start-ups and edtech—we’re united by a collective vision to build products with lasting impact. If you’re inquisitive, committed to quality, and optimistic about what technology can do for people, we’d love to talk.
We’re open to candidates not based in Seattle (within three hours of the Pacific time zone is preferred), and will support remote work even when there isn’t a global pandemic, provided you’re able to travel on occasion.
In your day-to-day you will:
- Plan and conduct design research programs with a primary focus on qualitative methods: interviews, design ethnography, concept evaluation, participatory design, and usability studies should all be a part of your toolbox
- Plan, design, and facilitate workshops with stakeholder groups to uncover business and customer goals
- Synthesize research data to create frameworks for design opportunities, product strategy, and customer needs
- Prepare and present approaches and outcomes of research in a compelling manner to internal teams and clients
- Work on collaborative teams including product design, software engineering, and clients to realize strategic goals
- 5+ years of experience as a user researcher, design researcher, or design strategist
- Ability to work independently and manage a research project from start to finish
- Demonstrated record of applying varied research techniques to complicated problem spaces and telling compelling research stories
- Ability to balance research rigor with tight deadlines and ambiguous circumstances
- A passion for human-centered design and the design process, and a willingness to transmit that passion to client teams
- Strong knowledge of digital product design practices and principles
- A desire to work on teams that ship high-quality digital products
- Strong communication, client services, and interpersonal skills
We offer a comprehensive set of benefits designed to help you do your best work and support your life in & out of the office.
- Profit-sharing Benefit
- Generous PTO policy
- Education Benefit
- Commuter Benefits
- Flexible Working
- A Happy (Currently Virtual) Workplace
Founded in 2006 in Seattle, Substantial is a digital innovation and build studio located on Seattle’s Capitol Hill. We believe technologists are in an unprecedented position to innovate in service of a more equitable future. We collaborate with our clients as strategic innovation partners to create thoughtful digital products from concept to launch.
People of Color, LGBTQ+ individuals, women and members of historically marginalized populations encouraged to apply.
Substantial strives to be a diverse, inclusive and anti-racist workplace. We value diverse perspectives on our product teams and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and walks of life. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability, physical appearance, age or national origin. Racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, or any other form of bigotry have no place here.