UX / UI Designer
UX/UI Designer At STEM Learning we're expanding our Digital Team and embarking on ambitious plans to rewrite the digital landscape for the STEM education sector. We're looking for someone who loves solving problems, designing and building end to end journeys that exceed customer expectations, and who is willing to roll up their sleeves and get stuck in as part of a growing, passionate Digital Team working at the heart of STEM Learning's customer engagement.
- Location: York/London/remote (within UK) Salary: £45k - £50k Basis: permanent; full-time Eligibility: you must be eligible to work in the UK and be based or plan to be based in the UK
The Role Spanning the entire breadth of product design from user research, journey mapping, interface design and prototyping through to user testing and successful handover to developers you will help build new digital products and experiences, breathe new life into existing ones and work to ensure our digital ecosystem enables us to achieve a world-leading STEM education for all young people across the UK.
On a day-to-day basis, this would entil:
ownership and responsibility for the end to end journeys our customers take through our digital products, ensuring those interactions highlight the depth and breadth of support we offer in a clear and digestible way. Ensuring the designs are accessible, intuitive, and inclusive; championing user centric design within the organisation. Using research and evidence to aid decision-making but using knowledge of STEM Learning, our products, our customers and the market to make sound decisions when time is short;
- working in teams made up of internal product owners and external developers you will contribute to sprint planning, user stories, backlog estimation, prioritisation sessions, testing and showcases; * you will ensure any required design artifacts are available to the team and will help unblock issues that arise during implementation;
- leveraging your creativity and influence to help drive a positive agile culture within the team and beyond.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- an inspirational portfolio with at least 4 years' experience in digital design including web and native mobile channels;
- brilliant interaction and visual design skills; prototypes, wireframes, personas and other artifacts. Solid experience of tools such as Axure, Balsamiq, Proto.io, InVision, Figma or similar to support this;
- great communication and collaboration skills honed from experience working in; cross-functional development teams and from working with business users of all levels
- experience working with a variety of tools and techniques to enable effective remote workshops and sessions'
- an analytical and critical thinking mindset;
- a passion and drive to help realise STEM Learning's goals and vision;
- familiarity with usability testing and its role within product development process;
It would be advantageous, but not essential, if you also had:
proven experience of user research, both qualitative and quantitative, including interviews and associated tools and techniques to inform the design process; enough HTML/CSS/JS front end knowledge to be dangerous.
In return you will get:
- to work for a fast paced, inspiring organisation doing great things with ambitious digital plans;
- be part of a small, but brilliant, digital team getting involved in all manner of digital products;
- receive a competitive salary;
- have access to a fantastic pension scheme, employer contributions are currently 21.1%, (https://www.uss.co.uk/);
- able to work flexibly, with an office in York (main) or London available to you if you want. [If working remotely or in London a visit to see the team in York once or twice per month will be essential].
To find out more about STEM Learning and what we do have a read through these:
- What we do
- Model of change
- Out latest impact report